Donnerstag, 30. August 2007

Shadow Made It!!!

Shadow has been here for almost two days now, and I think right now is the first time he has let me out of his sight. Up until now he has lived up to his name and hasn't let me get more than a couple feet away from him. He made the flight over to Frankfurt and drive up to Düsseldorf and arrived in a lot better condition than I ever expected. I was really worried about his flight over here, but everything is fine now. At the moment he's just really confused. He doesn't understand that this is where we live now and he keeps trying to leave. It doesn't help that he hasn't seen my mom in a while either. He has also already run into the glass wall in the middle of the kitchen - I knew it was going to happen to someone soon.

Once he gets a little more relaxed and well-adjusted I think he'll like it. He's going to get a lot of walks around here. I've already taken him down to the Rhein paths, which he likes, but we have to keep an eye on him near the river. He loves to go on the beaches and into the water though (I keep him on the leash, Mom!).

Yesterday was our big adventure into the Altstadt! He got to go on the streetcar/train, which he has never been on before. He was really well-behaved, but he's so big that he can't help but be in the way. When we got to Heinrich-Heine-Allee, the main train station near the Altstadt, the only way up to the street level was via escalator. Shadow didn't like that so much. He crouched as low as possible without actually lying down and slowed everyone up behind us. It was funny to watch, but I felt bad at the same time because I knew he was scared. Aside from pulling a bit, he was much more well-behaved than I expected, considering every restaurant in the Altstadt had tables and food outside. We'll have to experiment and take him to dinner with us once. I don't think his table manners are good enough though. All the German dogs sit quitely at their owners feet while they eat. Shadow would be whining and barking at us for food.

Jenny and I have been on our own for the past couple of nights while Tim is in Belgium. We went to the Berliner-Imbiss last night for dinner for some German junk food. Instead of going for a burger around here, you get Currywurst. It's sausage doused in curry powder and ketchup. It's better than it sounds. This is an oh-so-attractive picture of Jenny with currywurst. For dessert we went for Spaghetti Eis - pretty cool. It is ice cream that comes out of a machine in strands like spaghetti, is covered in fresh strawberry sauce (to look like marinara sauce) and sprinkled with white chocolate (to look like grated parmesan cheese). I think I still like the Erdbeerbechers better, but it was worth a try.

Tonight Jenny has cello, which should be interesting since we do not have a car to get it to school and it looks like it is going to rain. That's it for now. Talk to you soon!

1 Kommentar:

Leslie hat gesagt…

I can't believe they have spagehitti ice cream like in the US. It was always at the washington county fair. Difficult to find. I am excited to come and visit after your blogs. Problem being...I don't know if I would come back. Miss you!